A little over a year ago, ChatGPT burst onto the scene, dazzling the world. Its ability to swiftly handle time-consuming tasks—like condensing articles or organizing intricate travel plans—simply from a few prompts was awe-inspiring.
But that was just the beginning. OpenAI, the brains behind ChatGPT, has now introduced a groundbreaking way for everyone to fashion their personalized iteration of ChatGPT. Termed as GPTs, these customizable AI entities can be tailored swiftly to align with your specific business or personal objectives, all accomplished in a matter of minutes.
Curious to craft your own bespoke ChatGPT? Here’s a guide on leveraging OpenAI’s GPT builder for this purpose. Presently, the option to construct a custom GPT is exclusively accessible to users with ChatGPT Plus or Enterprise accounts.
GPTs, or Generative Pre-trained Transformers, take on personalized forms as ChatGPTs, tailored by OpenAI users. The process involves simply conveying your desired specifications to the GPT builder in natural language, allowing it to take the reins.
Consider this scenario: requesting the GPT builder to craft a chatbot specializing in sharing fascinating otter facts. The following showcases an example of this custom ChatGPT GPT builder:
Custom ChatGPT Functionality: Delivering Otter Fun Facts
Moreover, this GPT builder enables additional configurations, such as web browsing, image generation via DALLE·3, and even executing code.
For users with ChatGPT Plus or Enterprise accounts, while customization of ChatGPT responses through instructions exists, the GPT builder escalates this customization in two key aspects:
1. Multiple Custom GPTs: There’s no ceiling on the number of GPTs you can fashion, facilitating seamless toggling between chatbots for varied AI-powered assistance. Conversely, custom instructions limit you to a single set of directives per user.
2. Knowledge Source File Uploads: Rather than manually copying and pasting text from every resource for ChatGPT’s consideration, uploading knowledge files directly to the GPT builder streamlines the process, leaving the rest to it.
Note: As part of OpenAI’s privacy measures, opting out of model training ensures sensitive information—like chat history and knowledge files—remains inaccessible to OpenAI. However, exercising caution when uploading data in the initial stages is advisable due to potential data breaches, albeit minimal, inherent to generative AI.
How to Build Your Custom ChatGPT
The condensed steps for constructing your personalized ChatGPT via OpenAI’s GPT builder:
1. Access chat.openai.com and log in.
2. Navigate to the Explore section in the sidebar.
3. Click on Create a GPT.
4. Input your instructions within the message box on the Create page and engage with the GPT builder until achieving desired results.
5. Utilize Configure to apply advanced customizations to your AI assistant—alter the chatbot’s name, fine-tune instructions, upload knowledge files, and set up actions.
6. Save your creation and designate how you wish to share your custom GPT.
7. Confirm your choices.
Now, let’s delve into a more detailed exploration of GPT usage.
- Log in to Your OpenAI Account
A prerequisite is possessing a ChatGPT Plus or Enterprise account. If already equipped, initiate your chat by clicking “Log in.” If encountering login issues, a page reload is recommended. For specific troubleshooting, refer to OpenAI’s guidance.
- Create Your GPT
In the sidebar, access Explore, followed by Create a GPT. The GPT builder splits the screen into Create (where you input prompts to build the chatbot) and Preview (enabling interactive chatbot construction). Commence by inputting instructions in the Create page’s message box and hit Enter or Return.
This prompts the GPT builder to suggest elements like chatbot name, profile picture, and default conversation starters. Embrace these suggestions or prompt modifications as per your preference.
Refine your chatbot’s behavior with more specific instructions prompted by the GPT builder. A strategic approach involves testing the chatbot in the Preview panel—interacting with it as usual—to inform necessary modifications. For instance, for verbose responses, instruct the builder to keep them succinct.
Continue honing your prompts until your chatbot aligns with the desired response pattern.
- Configure Your GPT
After establishing the basics, advance to customization with intricate settings.
Click “Configure.” Beyond typical modifications like chatbot name and description, explore other advanced settings:
- Profile Picture: Upload your image or generate one using DALLE·3 by specifying the image type.
- Instructions: Refine or add new instructions/guidelines.
- Conversation Starters: Remove or add prompts.
- Knowledge: Upload relevant files for your chatbot’s reference.
- Capabilities: Enable functions like code execution or data analysis.
- Actions: Specify third-party API integrations for external information retrieval or action execution.
Utilizing AI Actions by Zapier, for instance, seamlessly integrates your custom GPT with various apps for streamlined functionality.
- Save Your GPT
Upon satisfaction, click “Save” or “Update” for modifications to your custom GPT. Choose the audience—private, specific link access, or public sharing based on your plan.
Your ChatGPT and any custom versions will appear in the ChatGPT home page’s side panel, allowing seamless interaction.
For sharing, access the Explore section, click on the desired GPT, click the down caret (∨) beside its name, and select “Copy link” for straightforward sharing.
Editing Your Custom Chatbot
Editing your custom chatbot follows a specific process to avoid creating a new chat accidentally
1. Access Explore in the sidebar.
2. Click “Edit” next to the desired GPT for modifications.
3. Update settings as necessary.
4. Click “Update” and confirm changes.
To delete a custom GPT:
1. In the sidebar, navigate to Explore.
2. Click the More icon (…) next to the GPT.
3. Select “Delete GPT” and confirm the deletion.
With these functionalities, navigating OpenAI’s GPT builder becomes a streamlined process for crafting and fine-tuning your personalized ChatGPTs.